Cars That Stand the Test of Time

© Rolls-Royce Motor Cars© Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
Rolls-Royce Phantom
Introduced: 1925
The Rolls-Royce Phantom — called the New Phantom at the time — was introduced as a replacement for the Silver Ghost. Between 1925 and 1931 this elegant motorcar was produced both in Derby, England as well as in Springfield, Massachusetts, where the company had recently started building vehicles. Powered by a 7.7-liter 6-cylinder engine that made up to 50 horsepower, the New Phantom was typically paired with one of the coachbuilders of the time, so there were many different configurations. There would be a Phantom II and Phantom III, the latter being the last pre-war car built by Rolls and the only Phantom at the time to be powered by a V12 engine. There would eventually be six generations of Phantom before BMW took ownership of the brand in 1998; however, the last three generations were built in small numbers. The Phantom was the first new Rolls-Royce produced under BMW, arriving late in 2003.

<>
<Slide 44/47>
%d bloggers like this: